Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Workshops: A Reflection

What a privilege to see my colleagues present workshops that not only were engaging, but highly beneficial in terms of what I can bring to my own classroom. Gloria and Mercedes reminded me how studying a second language can bring understanding to the structure of a primary language. Not only that, but honoring other cultures can be a fantastic way to increase student interest and engagement. I will hope to increase my students' sentence savvy by encouraging them to measure the importance of each word. My writer's notebooks will be more organized, purposeful and useful to my students. I will have a more focused plan to prepare my students for the Direct Writing Assessment. Finally, I will use media to teach my students the art of persuasion in a fun, motivational way.

The above only touches the surface of what I will be able to incorporate into my writing instruction next fall. I'll need time to go back through all the handouts, to reflect about and possibly modify activities to meet the needs of my students.

2 comments:

kell9582 said...

I will definitely be holding on to the packets and using them in the future!It was a pleasure to see each teacher perform and do what they are good at!

Tara said...

I think it was more exciting for me to see what I can use in my personal writing! Your workshop has really sharpened my thinking in regards to work choice and work arrangement. I didn't know how much I didn't know!!