Wednesday, July 29, 2009

bird by bird; a reflection

In Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott really challenged me to rethink some of the traditions to which I held fast as a teacher and writer. For example, she advises to just begin. No fancy pre-writing rituals required. Just start writing. And keep writing, doing so on a regular basis. Not everything will be brilliant--but that's OK. Eventually, something meaningful will emerge.

And that brings up a second theme Lamott hammers home (and yes, I meant to say "hammer.) Publishing should not be the end-all, be-all to writers. While it may be nice to be published, and it does bring legitimacy to what we do, the journey is what's important. That's not to say that being published (many times as it turns out in order to really make a living as a writer) isn't admirable. It's just to say that if we lose sight of why we write that can make what we write fraudulent. And fraudulent writing may sound pretty, but it will lack the power to transmit long-lasting meaning.

I found Bird by Bird to be humorous, inspiring, and just what I needed at this stage in my journey as a writer. I recommend it particularly for those who may be hesitant about just diving in.

1 comment:

* said...

I have read and re-read "Writing down the bones" by N. Goldberg, an inspired book on writing & life that spurs me to write time and again.

Funny thing, I ordered "Bird by bird" on Amazon last week. It should be arriving in my mail box any day. Almost feels like waiting for Christmas.